When I write from scratch for you (copywriting) my job is to get your message across in the clearest way I can. Some customers come to me with a thorough brief. Others come with an idea or a hope.
So, I work around what you’re looking for, and I’ll ask you some questions like:
- What do your readers need to know (that can be different from what you want to say!)?
- Is there anything that’s likely to confuse potential readers?
- Any particular accessibility or sensitive issues?
- Is there anything that potential readers are likely to find interesting/helpful/reassuring?
- What’s the end product: look and feel?
- Do you need me to do some primary research (interview people, desk research, analyse evidence)?
- How do you expect to distribute the product/readers to get it?
- What’s the budget and timescale?
It means that we’re all clear about the intention and the product before my fingers hit the keys.
You have the final say: after I’ve written the text, I’ll send it to you to amend, approve, sign off and take to the next stage.
“Shirley is so easy to work with and is great at turning heavy, complicated material into key points that are clear and easy to understand. She is a great researcher and writer, and produces high quality, professional material. We always receive great feedback from parents: they find the information accessible and helpful.”National Parent Forum of Scotland