I’m Shirley Henderson
I’ve been writing and editing professionally for around 25 years. I work for not-for-profit and public sector organisations, mostly in Scotland. I specialise in plain English and clear writing for print and web.
Experience and qualifications
- I’ve all-round experience: direct work with service users; project management; strategic planning; research; evaluation; reporting; even fundraising
- I know about social issues: equalities, violence against women, social justice, environmental concerns. My customers value my insight and my writing, research and editing skills combined with my knowledge of their sector and the diverse people and issues they work with
- As a modern language graduate, I know how English grammar works. It’s not all (ancient) Greek to me, because I learned that and Latin too once upon a time. There are rules but I apply these for clarity, not pedantry. I know where to put the apostrophe but I also love the fact that language keeps changing
- I have worked as a communications specialist and project manager in the not-for-profit sector. A secondment to the Scottish Government, and a spell in a local authority enterprise, mean I understand how local and national government work
- I also run a successful and established small business